What is ADA?
The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 prohibits discrimination on the basis of a disability. Texas A&M University (TAMU) is committed to maintaining an accessible campus community and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified students, faculty, staff and visitors, including making its web sites accessible and usable.
If you need information regarding ADA support for specific services, please contact the persons listed below. Personal information exchanged in an effort to receive a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act will be treated in a confidential manner.
If you are experiencing difficulty accessing a Texas A&M Campus location due to a disability, please identify the specific campus location and the access issue.
State law requires that you be informed of the following:
- you are entitled to request to be informed about the information about yourself collected by use of this form (with a few exceptions as provided by law);
- you are entitled to receive and review that information; and
- you are entitled to have the information corrected at no charge to you.
|Area of Responsibility||Groups Served||Contact||Phone Number||E-mail Address|
ADA/Section 504 Coordinator - ADA Complaints
|All||Margaret (Peggy) B. Zapalac||
|Athletic Facilities||All||Kevin Hurleyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Employment & Academic Issues||Faculty||Blanca Lupianiemail@example.com|
|Employment - Accommodations & Other Inquiries||Staff||Clint Wolffirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Employment - Accommodations||Student Employees||Colleen Siscoemail@example.com|
|Academic Accommodations||Students||Kristie Orrfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|General Inquiries & Program Access||All||Julie Kuderemail@example.com|
|General Inquiries & Program Access||All||Annette Wallisfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|IT Accessibility - Electronic & Information Resources||All||Cynthia Kauderemail@example.com|
|Reed Arena||All||Leslie Lamkinfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Special Events||All||Billy Bielamowiczemail@example.com|
|Transportation Services||All||Darla Guerrafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Non-functioning automatic doors||All||Respective building proctor or ADA/Section 504 Coordinator||979-845-8116||ADA.Coordinator@tamu.edu|
SAP 29.01.99.M0.01 Web Accessibility and Usability Procedures (including linking and indexing) (http://rules.tamu.edu/PDFs/29.01.04.M1.01.pdf)
Texas A&M University IT Accessibility website (https://itaccessibility.tamu.edu/index.php)
- Disability Resources: Defining a Disability (http://disability.tamu.edu/faq/disability)
- Disability Resources: Documentation Guidelines (http://disability.tamu.edu/documentation)
- Human Resources ADA Resources (http://employees.tamu.edu/ocrm/ada/)
- Campaign for Disability Employment (http://employees.tamu.edu/managers/disability-campaign/)
- Faculty Guide: Syllabus Statement (http://disability.tamu.edu/facultyguide/syllabus)
- Disability Resources: Resources and Referrals Guide (http://disability.tamu.edu/resources)
- US Department of Labor: Disability Resources (http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/disability/ada.htm)
- US Department of Justice: Information and Technical Assistance (http://www.ada.gov/)
- EEOC: The Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 (http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/history/35th/1990s/ada.html)
What happens when I file an ADA Complaint?
Students, faculty, staff, and visitors may submit ADA requests for programs and activities on the TAMU campus or sponsored by TAMU. The requests may involve accessibility to programs and facilities or discrimination in programs and activities.
When the ADA/Section 504 Coordinator receives an ADA request, you will be contacted to let you know that your request has been received. You may also be asked for additional information so that your request can be directed to the appropriate office for response. Some request may involve the services of more than one office. The ADA/Section 504 Coordinator assists in coordinating services provided by other offices.
For more information, see the examples of services listed below.
- Disability Resources offers accommodation coordination, evaluation referral, disability-related information, adaptive technology services, sign language interpreting and transcriptions services for academically related purposes, and makes referrals for other resources. Disability Resources publishes a Faculty Resource guide http://disability.tamu.edu/facultyguide to explanation of the rights and responsibilities of instructors as well as other helpful information. Disability Resources also provides a Resource and Referral Guide for students, faculty, staff, and visitors http://disability.tamu.edu/resources.
- The Dean of Faculties Office works with faculty to address faculty work-related accessibility and discrimination related issues.
- Organizational Consulting & Resolution Management (OCRM) responds to ADA issues. For more information see http://employees.tamu.edu/ocrm/ada/
- The ADA/Section 504 Coordinator will work with Disability Services, Dean of Faculties Office, and Human Resources in conjunction with third party service providers regarding facility access, signage, and food allergy issues.
- Transportation Services provides information regarding:
- paratransit http://transport.tamu.edu/Transit/paratransit.aspx
- parking http://transport.tamu.edu/Parking/disabled.aspx
- Visitors with disabilities may be on campus for tours, special events, continuing education, and programs for minors. You may contact the ADA/Section 504 Coordinator, the visitor’s Center, Athletics, or the program sponsor in advance of the event so reasonable accommodations can be arranged.
- Information about Web Accessibility from Information Technology http://itaccessibility.tamu.edu/
- Complaints: Students, faculty, staff, third parties, and applicants for employment or admission who want to file a complaint should notify the Dean of Student Life, Associate Dean of Faculties, or Associate VP, Human Resources. See the Notice of Nondiscrimination and Abuse for official contacts. You may also contact the ADA/Section 504 Coordinator who will direct you to the appropriate office.
Please contact the ADA/Section 504 Coordinator at ADA.Coordinator@tamu.edu or 979.845.0977 if you have additional questions or need further assistance.
Related Laws and Guidance
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; 29 U.S.C., section 701 and section 794[a] and 28 C.F.R. section 35.107; and the 20 U.S.C.; 42 U.S.C., Chapter 126, beginning at section 12101, as amended.